This is not your ordinary butternut squash soup. Indulge your palate with this exotic savoury coconut infused butternut soup. The secret to this recipe is the in use of coconut oil, flakes and milk which lifts its flavour; and the fusion of the toasted broccoli and carrots. A nutritious, healthy and delectable soup that will top your winter favourites.
- Red onion
- Garlic (4 buds)
- Coconut oil (2 Tablespoons)
- Coconut milk (200mls)
- Honey (1 Tablespoon)
- Water (250mls)
- Coconut Flakes
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Pre heat oven
- Cut the butternut in half, de-seed it. Place in an oven pan, oil it and bake it until golden brown and fork tender.
- Dice the onion, chop the garlic and carrots.
- In a pot, add the coconut oil and toss in the garlic and onion first. Sear and season with salt and pepper, then add the carrots. Leave to cook.
- In the meantime, skin the butternut, mash it in a bowl and top it with honey. Then add it to the sizzling pot with veggies ang gently mix. Pour in the coconut milk and mix, then stir in some water and let simmer on medium heat for about 8 minutes, then emulsify in a blender. Once sooth, pour back the soup in the pot and keep warm on low heat.
- Meanwhile, toast the coconut flakes in a separate pan until golden, then set them aside in a bowl.
- In the same pan, without adding any extra oil, toast the mushroom and broccoli, seasoning with salt.
Serve in a soup bowl, place the toasted veggies in the centre, fill the circumference of the bowl with the butternut soup, trace in some coconut milk, drizzle sparingly some olive oil and sprinkle the coconut flakes as a garnish.